jeudi 29 septembre 2011

Week 1

Dear reader,

First, forgive me for the poorness of my titles, I’m try and make them better.

I don’t really remember what I’ve told you in my previous articles, and I don’t have internet right know to check. Thus, I am afraid that I might repeat the same thing, I have no memory. And with all the mails I write, and all that I tell myself, I don’t really know what I’ve told, and who I’ve told it to.

But I remember that I may have been quite negative, the first days having been difficult (poor little Seb!). So, in this article, I will try to make this blog positive, with my first photos of Albert Park (taken in the early morning) and with those of my neighborhood.

I have criticized the public transports of Auckland, and they deserve it. Kiwis themselves say so. Nevertheless, I already mentioned the pleasantness of the autochthones. “Maybe it’s because of the world cup!” Peter suggested me. Maybe. But still, it’s unexpected to see a teacher smile as if he just received a Christmas present, when you just gave him your essay. I have a few other examples, like the guy on a bike, that asked me politely to let him pass, and thanked me when I did, instead of just using his ring, as I was used to in Paris. I’m not saying that the people are happy in the bus in the morning, or when they sit in the traffic jams. The Aucklander drivers don’t seem cooler than our Franciliens friends. But overall, it’s a nice city to live in. But maybe I think so only because I’m still a tourist.

The English school is located downtown, close to the campus of the University of Auckland. A campus in the city-center might seem strange. The University of Auckland, Auckland University of Technology, the English School, and probably some others, are settle in an entire area, with all the commodities (fast foods, shops for students, bank for students, gym for students…). Quite astonishing.

Near, is Albert Park, a green space between the campus and the business district, with its numerous towers. It’s a nice place, where the winter temperature doesn’t prevent kiwi students from laying on the sweet (and wet!) grass to kiss. But considering that many of them wear only Tee-shirts when I’m freezing with my polar sweater, I’m not really surprised.

French seem to have a good reputation here, at least as long as the All Blacks win… Anyway, red wine and French cuisine, seem to be appreciated by most people. And the pronunciation of French words used in English (e.g. Cordon-bleu) makes people have a good laugh.

The weather is improving, but getting out of the shower in the bathroom with an always opened window reminds me the most difficult moment of my kayak trips… Anyway, I’m no longer sick, that’s a start.

I think I’m going to stop now, I’ve talk a lot. I have some difficulties to upload and organize my photos, but I will try to find a solution.

See you soon,


Sébastien

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire